All lawns benefit by annual aeration.
Fescue turf benefits from core aeration AND over seeding every fall. Fescue grass is a non-spreading grass that doesn’t have rhizomes or stolons. It will not spread and requires aeration and seeding to replenish turf loss due to disease, heat, and drought stress and normal dying off. Aeriation is best when done in the fall but can also be done in the spring. Aeriation should be avoided during hot weather.
Bermuda and Zoysia lawns benefit from core aeration during spring and early summer. Both of these grass types are self-germinating and do not require over seeding.
Benefits of Aerating Your Lawn
- Better turf grass rooting
- Better seed germination (Fescue Turf)
- Helps increase thatch breakdown
- Improves air exchange between soil/atmosphere
- Increases fertilizer uptake and use
- Improves lawn’s drought tolerance and overall health
- Improves water uptake
- Reduces soil compaction